Canadian singer/songwriter Cassidy Mackenzie just released her debut EP, One Look, last week and took some time to share her experience with us in a full interview for MusicOverload. The EP, which is produced and co-written by Ryan Stewart, showcases two talented musicians collaborating to produce some wonderful music.
1. MusicOverload – Tell us about the journey and the long process that people typically don’t know about EP recording and releasing means.
Cassidy Mackenzie – You know, you are right. It is a long process; indeed, I have been surrounded by music since I was 4 years old. I have been taking music lessons and improving my skills for practically my whole life. I moved to Nashville to study even more, and our lessons are related to songwriting, performing, and music business. When I met Ryan, everything was very natural, I told him I had some material that wanted to share with him, and after a couple of days, we decided to work together in the lyrics, music and of course in the recording of this EP. I visited him in Vancouver then to record and mix everything, and the result is there.
2. MO – Now that you mention Ryan, I see that he is an essential part of the process. What is the most important thing you learned from him?
CM – He has been an enormous influence. Working with him is fantastic. I learned from his attention to detail and how he already had the whole idea in his mind before sitting down to work on it. After recording the first take of the song, he began working immediately on the other tracks, he added de bass line. His influence is all over the place in these songs.
3. MO – Tell us more about your own influence, what are you listening to in your Spotify account?
CM – So many different things but mainly The 1975, L Devine, Lauv, Charlotte Lawrence.
4. MO – Why would you tell our readers they really need to listen to your work and go to your show?
CM – I can tell you that I love the songs because of the passion that they contain, all the soul that we poured into them, I think that the music is very authentic but mainly because they are fun and wild to listen.
5. MO – Can you share with us a down-to-earth goal and a crazy out-of-this-world goal?
CM- (laughs and thinks) mmmm first. I want to keep collaborating with people, continue recording and come up with a tour. As a crazy goal, I want to come up with an immersive concert show experience. Something no one has ever done before lol. That would be great!
Thank you, Cassidy, for sharing this time with us.